Connections +
News

Broadband hit 111.7 million lines at the end of Q1

Research firm Point Topic's latest analysis of the world broadband market shows the total number of lines reached 1...


July 2, 2004  


Print this page

Research firm Point Topic’s latest analysis of the world broadband market shows the total number of lines reached 111.7 million at the end of March, an increase of 12.3 million since the end of 2003.

The DSL share of total lines was 66%, with cable modems and other broadband technologies making up the remaining 34%. In terms of absolute numbers, DSL lines increased by over 9.6 million, compared to only 2.6 million for cable modems and other broadband lines.

DSL lines added were greater in the bulk of major broadband countries surveyed. Even in the predominantly cable North American market, DSL providers were narrowly ahead, with over 100,000 more net new subscriptions than cable modem operators.

Increased adoption of alternative broadband technologies particularly fibre, satellite and fixed wireless continued to increase in this period, Point Topic said.